Cannon

In the southern half of Windsor Gardens near the lodge were two cannon pointing seaward. Mate's Illustrated Penarth, published in 1903, stated that these were Russian cannon taken in the Crimean War (1853-56).

Russian cannon in Windsor Gardens

Postcard showing a Russian cannon taken in the Crimean War (1853-56)

In 1937 the Council invited tenders for the removal of the war relics from both Windsor Gardens and Alexandra Park. The highest tender of £45 was accepted and the guns plus the tank from Alexandra Park were sold for scrap.[1]

Sources of information

  1. Penarth Times 6th May 1937